For the past several years, California has suffered from high unemployment rates and employment “growth” rates in the negative numbers. Nearly all California industries lost jobs between 2007 and 2010. In January 2010, then-Governor Schwarzenegger promised to create jobs and get California’s economy back on track. His proposed California Jobs Initiative was supposed to create or retain at least 100,000 jobs in the state and provide training for 140,000 more people.
One year later, that Initiative has stalled. Governor Jerry Brown is now saying that California cannot create the jobs it needs, until a budget is passed that will allow the state to get its financial house in order.
Do you have the time to wait for the government to straighten itself out? Most likely you don’t.
If you are looking for steady employment in California, there is one industry that has shown national growth throughout this recession: the staffing industry. In a time where companies have less money to spend on hiring full-time employees, they are calling upon staffing agencies to help ease their workloads.
If you’ve never thought of working through a staffing agency, or if you think it’s not for you, consider that taking work through a staffing agency can mean:
- Excellent networking opportunities. Working at various companies can become an excellent opportunity to connect with new people, discover new clients, or even make new friends. You can meet a variety of people in various industries in a single year of working temporary jobs.
- Lack of boredom. When you work at a temporary job, the work almost never has time to get boring.
- Trying out new employers. Being able to work at various companies for a limited time offers you the unique opportunity to “try out” working for a company without a long-term commitment. Just as employers use temporary staffing to try out workers, so can you use our opportunity to see if you like various companies. You may discover that you enjoy working for a company or industry in a type of job that you didn’t know existed before.
- Getting your foot in the door. Taking on temporary jobs may allow you to get your foot in the door at a company that may not officially be hiring.
- Acquiring new skill training. Every job you take can teach you new skills and increase your worth as an employee. These skills could be in new programs, new hardware, or even in a completely new field.
- Having them call you. When you work with a staffing agency, you don’t have to devote all of your time to looking for a job. They do all of the searching for you, and can have you in place and earning a paycheck in less time than it would take you to find one on your own.
For more than 20 years, Josephine’s Personnel Services, Inc. has provided staffing services to companies in the Silicon Valley, San Jose, Santa Clara County, Northern California, and Southern California. If you are looking for the competitive edge that working with a staffing agency can provide you, contact us today!